Tis the season to be asked to “bring a finger food.” I have a love-hate relationship with these types of parties. I love the concept of sharing in the preparation. I love to cook. I hate that I stress over it.
BeachBoy’s favorite carry-to-a-party item is bacon chicken wraps, but I’m not a fan of taking the same thing to every party. I’ve tried to explain it to him, but he insisted they’re too good not to take.
Long story short, I actually found myself buying a magazine called, of all things, “Southern Lady.” Yes, you heard me right. I was standing in line at THE grocery store of the south (Publix), when I noticed a magazine featuring appetizers. As I flipped through and saw a few that looked good, I caved and paid the ridiculous price charged by the grocery store.
This weekend, we have to parties requiring a finger food, so tonight I’m getting everything ready.
The first recipe I tried was good, cheap, and couldn’t be faster, so I thought I’d pass it along.
Cranberry Cheese Log with Rosemary and Toasted Walnuts
- 1 pack softened cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 cups chopped dried cranberries (This came out to be just shy of a 6 oz pack. You could make it even easier and just round up.)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (My bush recently died, so I used dried. Sorry, I didn’t measure. I just eyeballed it as usual.)
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Mix all bu the nuts. Chill the mixture. Form a log and roll in the nuts.
This made me wonder: What if I used fresh cranberries and candied walnuts? Hmmm….